At LingQ, we believe it is best not only to learn a language, but to learn something else through the language. That way we learn the language more efficiently and broaden our knowledge.
So we’re inviting you to enhance your language learning at our LingQ headquarters in Vancouver, Canada.
Join us for three months in Vancouver at the LingQ headquarters where you will:
- Spend two hours a day studying English with LingQ under our guidance.
- Spend up to five hours a day working with our LingQ team in English.
- Spend the rest of your time taking advantage of living in an English speaking environment.
The program includes working in a real world tech start-up and interacting with LingQ personnel every day. You will be participating in real projects, helping to solve real marketing, design, and project related problems. You will help LingQ and at the same time you will become fluent in English.
- You will need to find your own way to and from Vancouver, Canada.
- You will have to find a place to stay within a reasonable commute time from our office in West Vancouver (we can help you with this).
- You will need to come with your own laptop and either a tablet or smartphone or both.
- You must provide strong references.
Although we are looking for mostly non-native English speakers from different language groups, we will also take one native English speaker who is learning another language. As an English speaker you will not benefit from the immersive, native speaking environment in our office. Nevertheless, we will arrange virtual discussions in your target language with tutors with experience in relevant fields. We will also make sure one of your co-learners is from your target language group so you can have real conversations with him or her.
How to Apply
LingQ Academy starts May 16, 2016, which doesn’t give a lot of time. We need to receive all applications by April 5, 2016 at the latest. We will be conducting Skype interviews for those who get through to the second stage. We are hoping to find three to six learners to take part in the course who will be notified by April 15, 2016. That will give you a month to prepare for the trip. I realize the timeline is short, but that’s the way it is.
You should be passionate about learning, whether it be learning languages or learning about web and mobile marketing, optimization etc. Tell us what you’re interested in! A genuine interest in technology and technology related fields is a must. Experience in these activities can be an asset but is by no means a requirement.
As part of your application, prepare an imported lesson on LingQ. Explain why we should include you in this program. It can be in any language. Include a video, audio and transcript of course. Include the lesson url in your application email.
Don’t worry, it won’t all be work! We will find lots of opportunity to enjoy and explore the fantastic summers here on the west coast of Canada.
If you are interested, please submit an email to LingQAcademy@lingq.com answering the following questions. No prior experience is required, all levels of English speakers should feel free to apply.
Please answer the following questions in your video submission:
- What do you do now?
- Why do you do it?
- Why do you want to learn English?
- Which language do you want to learn and why? (For native English speakers)
- What is your current level in (English)?
- What other languages do you speak?
- What are you hoping to learn?
- After you learn it, what are you going to do with it?
- What are some of the things that you have done in your life that you are most proud of?
- If you could do anything in your life, what would that be?
- What else should I know about you?
For those of you who aren’t able to apply, we’ll also be making the learning materials from the course available on LingQ so you will be able to follow along and study the same program. We’ll provide more details when the time comes.
We look forward to hearing from you!